ant-user mailing list archives

From Andrew.W...@adidas.com.hk
Subject How to write an build script so that the jar get updated ONLY whe n its .class is compiled (i.e. the java get changed)
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:22:50 GMT
Hi,
How to write an build script so that the jar get updated ONLY when its
.class is compiled (i.e. the java get changed)
I can't do it with uptodate tag
Thanks
Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: North Alex [mailto:Alex.North@tapiola.fi]
Sent: Wednesday, 21 April, 2004 3:20 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: Antwort: Performing unattended daily builds with WebSphere
Studio and Ant

Hi

I think it depends on your environment and what phase the project is going
through as to how useful and how often you need to run them, and of course
your process.

We use ANT quite a lot and from within WSAD as a development aid.  You can
compile, build dependency JARs, EJB deploy code, etc from within the tool
... but you have to sit there and do it (or configure the tool to do it).
We have a few people doing different parts of an application ... a developer
can come in in the morning and run a task to refresh from the source control
system (clearcase in our case), regenerate all that is needed (other people
change their EJB interfaces, add new schemas that require JAXB generation,
and change code) and recompile ... and go get their coffee in the meantime.
It's done the same every time ... no forgetting to compile (or fully
recompile) this part or regenerate some other part.

The tasks are split up so that just the item you want can be run (we also
have other generations such as JAXB being peformed from the ANT scripts).
Extra tasks such as some static code checking, unit test execution, and
reports can also easily be run from here.  Then there is a task that can
deploy the EAR to the target environment, which calls upon the other tasks
to do it's job.  For our developers, it's a great way to get things done.

Just another viewpoint on how things can be done.

<= Alex =>