ant-user mailing list archives

From "Segers, Peter" <Peter.Seg...@dtc.com>
Subject Problem with Ant distribution in Zip-format
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:21:35 GMT
Hi,

I have downloaded a couple of binary distributions of Ant in ZIP format from various mirrors,
but every time the ZIP file downloaded turns out to be unreadable using either WinZip or JAR.
WinZip 8 on Windows 2000 says "the file does not appear to be a valid archive" and JAR from
Java SDK 1.4.2 just hangs.

Fortunately, the TAR.GZ format - which WinZip can also read - works fine.

Is this a known compatibility problem? Is there a workaround, other than going for the TAR.GZ
format?

The reason why I ask is because I am having to set up Ant on a few new machines, ideally,
to avoid unnecessary problems, in exactly the same way as the old ones which are still using
Ant 1.4.1. We no longer seem to have the original Ant distribution files, however, and old
versions of Ant available on the web are only available in Zip format... I have inherited
the setup, BTW, and I am not very familiar with Ant or Open Source stuff etc.

Because of having this problem, I have tried Ant 1.6.1 from the TAR.GZ file instead of 1.4.1
and it looks like the latest version simply works. So I am considering upgrading all the machines
to 1.6.1. But, just in case we do find a problem with the new version later on, I would like
to have a backup plan. I've got more than enough on my plate already.  :-)

Any help/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Segers

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and
others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. The sender is neither liable
for the proper, complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor
for any delay in its receipt.