ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: FTP problem in Ant 1.5.3
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:10:40 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert r. Sanders" <robert.sanders@ipov.net>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: FTP problem in Ant 1.5.3

> Yeah, the iFTP task (http://oss.ipov.org/iftp-ant/) just wraps the ANT
> FTP task in a more friendly manner (both less xml, and fewer connections).
> The online documents are a little out of date (I just checked and found
> this).  You need to get the commons-net.jar from
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/net/index.html   Put that jar into the
> org.apache.ant_1.5.3 plugin directory and everything should work fine.

Actually, I found that I had to put the commons-net jar into the
org.apache.ant_1.5.3 plugin directory *AND* add it to the Ant classpath in
Eclipse.

I just mentioned that in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

This didn't solve my new problem though:
[iftp] Error while connecting or logging into FTP Server.

The vagueness of this message is very disappointing since it doesn't give me
any clue as to what might be wrong.

I noticed that iftp has appended a port number of 21 to the server name.
That might might be a problem if port 21 is closed on that machine. Is there
any way to override it with a different port number if that becomes
necessary? I'll see the server administrator shortly to ask about the port
number but knowing the right port number won't help if I don't know how to
specify it in the iftp task ;-)

Also, would it be possible to make the message more explicit about what the
FTP Server didn't like about the connection attempt? I don't know if it's
unhappy with the port number or it doesn't recognize my userid or my
password has expired or any of many other possibilities. (Actually, I know
that my userid and password are correct but in other situations, I could
imagine not being sure of these things and wondering which of them is
causing the problem.)

Sorry, I hope this doesn't seem unduly negative. I'm just trying to make a
constructive suggestion....

Rhino