ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: List of frequently found gotchas
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:50:38 GMT
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Keith Davidson
<keith.davidson@metoceanengineers.com> wrote:
> At 04:58 PM 9/03/2004, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>If there are any "frequent" gotchas that are not already covered by
>>the FAQ, everybody is welcome to contribute to the FAQ or Ant's
>>wiki.
>
> I think it is a bit over the top that when I, say, go to use the
> <copy> task for the first time, that I first consult all of the
> Manual, FAQ, *and* Wiki.  All I am saying is that, anything relevant
> to the usage of a particular task, belongs in the Manual.

I absolutely agree with that.  It's just that we sometimes fail to see
what is a common gotcha - and whether one has to go a long way to find
them.  So any feedback on that is more than welcome - and the Wiki is
a fine place for feedback, as is this list.

To me the Wiki is more of a whiteboard for things that may eventually
be distilled into a part of the manual.

In the <copy> case, I agree with you that the notes simply should be
moved up.

> I haven't found anything in either the Manual, FAQ, or Wiki
> regarding the <java> task will not list full details of Exceptions
> unless you use fork="yes" within the <java ...> task.

I haven't been aware of that either.  Sounds more like a bug than like
something that should get documented with the task.  It should be
mentioned in the FAQ under "known issues", though.

> Anyway, it was just an idea.

More than that.  I'm sorry if I sounded as if I tried to shut up any
discussion on the quality of Ant or its docs.  Quite the opposite is
true.

Stefan