ant-user mailing list archives

From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Requiring jar files in classpath (or $ANT_HOME/lib) fortaskdefs
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:12:19 GMT
With respect, I think that misses the point.

The problem is, for JUnit and other Ant-optional tasks (i.e. those defined in some sense in
ANT_HOME/lib), they won't "just work" without fiddling with either distro (i.e. move JUnit
files -> Ant, or move Ant files -> JUnit).

This makes it a pain, particularly for those attempting to herd cats into a standard build
environment.

I understand the issues and I have no solution to offer (other than, perhaps, removing ant-*.jar
from the standard Ant distribution so that these problems don't arise - but then you would
open the door to a set of different problems), but please recognise that it *is* a problem
in many environments. There are people who would (consciously or unconsciously) take every
opportunity to rubbish free software, and this is an example of giving them an easy way of
doing this.

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: 15 March 2004 09:03
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Requiring jar files in classpath (or $ANT_HOME/lib)
fortaskdefs

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Jacob Kjome <hoju@visi.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that this is only true in the case of optional tasks
> that ship with Ant.

And then again only if you keep the corresponding .jar in
ANT_HOME/lib.

If you want <junit> to become independent from CLASSPATH and
ANT_HOME/lib, move ant-junit.jar out of ANT_HOME/lib and <taskdef>
junit using a <classpath> that points to the new location of
ant-junit.jar and junit.jar, for example.

Stefan