ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Litwak" <klit...@apu.edu>
Subject RE: Suggestiosn for ANT-Java programming book
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:53:59 GMT
Hi Erik,

  I ordered your book yesterday, and now I have a question.  I
downloaded Ant 1.6.1.  Does your comment mean that I won't be able to
use the example sin the book to use 1.6.1?  Does 1.6.1 change the rules
or only offer extensions?  Thanks.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 6:04 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Suggestiosn for ANT-Java programming book

Ken,

We have a chapter (12) titled "Developing for the web" in JDwA.

I agree with the other comments on this thread - there is no book that
covers the new Ant 1.6.x features, and for larger projects these new
features radically change how I'd craft a build file.  I still create
the directory structure the same, regardless of Ant version.  This
mirrors what I've created in the freely available JavaDevWithAnt
project (based on the source code from the book) at:

	http://www.ehatchersolutions.com/JavaDevWithAnt

Erik

On Mar 23, 2004, at 3:08 PM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>

>   Thanks for the suggestion.  The table of contents talks about
> building
> web services, bit I don't see a chapter that specifically addresses
> building servlets or JSPs.  Do you remember if that's in there?
> Thanks.
>
> Ken

Thanks.

> I've got that book;  it's like a good sampler platter, but you need
the
> entree. It sounds like for your needs, _Java Development with Ant_
> would
> be a better fit.
>
> http://www.manning.com/hatcher
>
> Available as an eBook, as well, for yesterday's needs.
>
> I leveraged this book into precisely what you're talking about, and my
> webapp had very peculiar needs.
>
> As to the *what* the specifics of specific app servers or web servers
> are,
> and how they impact your project, you'll probably have to find them
> elsewhere.  (Tomcat does get plenty of coverage in the book).
Whatever