ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Litwak" <klit...@apu.edu>
Subject RE: Suggestiosn for ANT-Java programming book
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:08:57 GMT
Hi Jim,

  Thanks for the suggestion.  The table of contents talks about building
web services, bit I don't see a chapter that specifically addresses
building servlets or JSPs.  Do you remember if that's in there?  Thanks.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: jim@jimvanfleet.com [mailto:jim@jimvanfleet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 11:32 AM
To: Ant Users List
Cc: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Suggestiosn for ANT-Java programming book

> Having read the ANT manual, I'm looking for a book that actually tells
> you how to create a web project directory structure, what actually
goes
> where, how to configure for specific app servers or web servers, and
so
> forth.  A friend suggested _Java Tools for Extreme Programming_.  Any
> comments or other suggestions?  I'm used to tools that hide all this
> stuff from you (similar to the Sun Java Reference Implementation).  I
> need to become an expert at doing it manually like yesterday.  Thanks.

I've got that book;  it's like a good sampler platter, but you need the
entree. It sounds like for your needs, _Java Development with Ant_ would
be a better fit.

http://www.manning.com/hatcher

Available as an eBook, as well, for yesterday's needs.

I leveraged this book into precisely what you're talking about, and my
webapp had very peculiar needs.

As to the *what* the specifics of specific app servers or web servers
are,
and how they impact your project, you'll probably have to find them
elsewhere.  (Tomcat does get plenty of coverage in the book).  Whatever
the specifics are, though, you'll probably learn what you need to learn
about Ant to handle it.

Jim