ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: Java implementation selector
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:48:57 GMT
> > FYI, ASM is the preferred bytecode library of choice
> > these days. --DD
>
> Color me embarrased.  ;)  Checking it out now.

Never heard of that ... short googling:

http://asm.objectweb.org/
ASM is a Java bytecode manipulation framework. It can be used to dynamically
generate stub classes or other proxy classes, directly in binary form, or to
dynamically modify classes at load time, i.e., just before they are loaded
into the Java Virtual Machine.

ASM offers similar functionalities as BCEL or SERP, but is much more smaller
(25KB instead of 350KB for BCEL and 150KB for SERP) and faster than these
tools (the overhead of a load time class transformation is of the order of
60% with ASM, 700% or more with BCEL, and 1100% or more with SERP). Indeed
ASM was designed to be used in a dynamic way* and was therefore designed and
implemented to be as small and as fast as possible.

Jan