ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: List of frequently found gotchas
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:23:28 GMT
> Could we follow the pattern of a number of the newsgroups and
> post a reference to the FAQ and manual and the website on a
> suitable time period? I follow comp.lang.objective-c, for
> example, and they post a link to their FAQ every week. This
> seems to be very useful for a number of reasons:
>
> 1. A message with a couple of links in does not take up much space.
> 2. It gives a very high signal to noise ratio.
> 3. It will remind people of the wonderful resources that are
> available.
> 4. We seem to have a good deal of new people joining the
> list, this gives them the information that they need without
> them having to ask for it (newcomers can be shy).
>
> Perhaps something like this could be posted on a weekly or
> fortnightly (bi-weekly for the Americans on the list :-)
> basis as an experiment for a while.

Sounds useful and can be done by cron-job on the cvs.apache.org.
Content can be part of the cvs-tree, e.g. (new)  /docs/mailinglist.reminder

In addition to the urls (and according to other newsgroups) we can send a
kind of netiquette.
  "How to ask questions"
  1. try "-verbose" mode and check the result
  2. provide the important buildfile, log and stacktrace parts

Jan