ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: uptodate vs. outofdate and if/unless gotchas
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:56:36 GMT
> From: Stirling, Scott [mailto:scott.stirling@workscape.com]
> > As Dominique says, its main purpose is to run an embedded list
> > of tasks if the outofdate condition is set.
>
> That makes little sense to me from a design perspective, although it's a
> nice feature and I won't complain.  I mean, running an embedded list of
> tasks based on a condition is great.  Why narrow it only to the condition
> of whether files are outofdate?  Missed opportunity for abstraction for
> all the other conditions why you might want to run a task, right?

Nope. You're talking of a generic <condition> and Ant-Contrib's <if> now.
<outofdate> is not meant to replace these.

<outofdate> is indeed kinda like a condition, and you're free to use it just
for that, but its goal in life is dependency analysis of files. You don't
get just/only a boolean out of it, but the actual list of targets that need
rebuilding, or only the out-of-date source files, so you can process only
those. It's not a boolean all or nothing logic. It's more subtle. --DD