ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stirling, Scott" <scott.stirl...@workscape.com>
Subject RE: uptodate vs. outofdate and if/unless gotchas
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:24:22 GMT
> From: Peter Reilly [mailto:peter.reilly@corvil.com]
>
> The name of outofdate was a play on uptodate to show that
> it does the opposite.

Ahh.  Interesting.

> As Dominique says, its main purpose is to run an embedded list
> of tasks if the outofdate condition is set.

That makes little sense to me from a design perspective, although it's a nice feature and
I won't complain.  I mean, running an embedded list of tasks based on a condition is great.
 Why narrow it only to the condition of whether files are outofdate?  Missed opportunity for
abstraction for all the other conditions why you might want to run a task, right?

> I have never liked the ant idiom of using properties to control
> program execution logic.

Doesn't bother me a bit because I find it useful in a variety of scenarios (i.e., stuff supported
by available/condition/if tasks).  I used to hate using flow control tasks from antcontrib
in Ant scripts, but I've loosened up on it since it lets you do mo' better stuff in Ant without
shelling out or writing a custom task.

Best,
Scott Stirling
Workscape, Inc.

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you
immediately.