ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stirling, Scott" <scott.stirl...@workscape.com>
Subject RE: uptodate vs. outofdate and if/unless gotchas
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:14:19 GMT
> From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:DDevienne@lgc.com]
>
> You're really missing the part that <outofdate> is not
> designed to set a property, but to *do* something when
> target files are out-of-date, i.e. are not uptodate.

I don't think I missed it.  It's orthogonal to the point concerning the inverse conditional
evaluation of sources and targets.  What the tasks do *after* the conditional evaluation is
a separate issue.  As far as the post-evaluation goes, you're right, I only focused on the
shared functionality, which is the property setting.  It's nice that <outofdate> can
do more, but I wasn't writing an ad for antcontrib.  Personally, my initial need was for a
target that will *do something* based on comparison of sources and *multiple* target files
whose names differ by more than file extension.

> I use <outofdate> extensively, and never set a property with
> it. Really, with <outofdate> (which is part of Ant-Contrib,
> not Ant BTW),

I think I was pretty clear on that in my email (3rd and 4th paragraphs), but I can see how
someone might miss it.  I think you missed my point, which had nothing to do with what these
tasks do *after* they're done evaluating the source and target files.  It was all about the
semantics of the conditional evaluation.

Scott Stirling
Workscape, Inc.

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you
immediately.