ant-user mailing list archives

From Keith Davidson <keith.david...@metoceanengineers.com>
Subject RE: List of frequently found gotchas
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:49:23 GMT
Hi Jan,

Apologies for the use of colloquial English.  By "gotchas", I mean, things
that catch you [in a trap].  Gotcha - a joining of "got ya", ie "got you",
as in "caught you".

Thanks for the links.  However, I think the sheer wealth of information
available, much of it repeating each other, simply highlights the problem
that I am talking about.  Every time I go to do something different in Ant,
my first point of reference is the user manual that comes with the download
of Ant, ie the http://ant.apache.org/manual/, and it is here that I would
like to see a heading for Gotchas (or perhaps, Tips).  Things such as:

1) The <copy> task does not copy file permissions in Unix
environments.  Use, either:
The <copy> task, followed by the <chmod> task,
or, if you don't know the permissions, but just want to preserve what they
are, don't use the <copy> task, instead, use:
<exec executable="bash"><arg line="-c 'cp -f -p ${src_dir}/*
${dest_dir}'"/></exec>

2) The <java> task will not list full details of Exceptions unless you use
fork="yes" within the <java ...> task

I think these also belong on the relevant manual pages (eg
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/copy.html), and I don't mean as a
footnote on the bottom of the page that you might notice if you actually
read the whole page from start to finish, but at the top, as the first
thing you read, perhaps as a big red warning (because, as you know, nobody
rtfm in its entirety).

Both of these problems are examples of things that I stumbled upon, but
only solved by asking mailing lists, and both of them, surely, are things
that are regularly stumbled upon.  I am sure there are more, they are just
the two that I have found so far.

Another thing that could go on a Tips page, would perhaps be the existence
of the <fixcrlf> task.

Cheers,
Keith.