ant-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <adam....@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: show list of available tasks
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:03:15 GMT
This is just an idea, but if Description task could append the target
title onto the front of the description blurb, then it would be optimal,
IMHO - so instead of plain ole'

[adam@gondor garg-ejb]$ ant -p
Buildfile: build.xml
desc from project desc from all desc from compile

Main targets:

  all                  do everything
  compile              make classes

ant could output:

[adam@gondor garg-ejb]$ ant -p
Buildfile: build.xml
desc from project
[all] desc from all
[compile] desc from compile

Well, you could probably improve on the format, but you see what I mean.
At the moment it seems to append each target's desc without a line feed
or whitespace at all.

On 03/16/2004 09:52 PM Dale Anson wrote:
> It doesn't make sense to me either. I think it's a bug. I have some
> patches to org.apache.tools.ant.Target and
> org.apache.tools.ant.types.Description that I'll bring up on the
> developer list. Description currently goes through ALL targets and
> appends any <description> elements to the Project description. It should
> only append any <description> elements in the implicit target. I have a
> patch for that. I also have a patch for Target that will use any child
> <description> elements as the target description, which is really nice
> for documentation of the purpose of a target.
>
> Dale
>

> Dominique Devienne wrote:
>
>>> From: Peter Reilly [mailto:peter.reilly@corvil.com]
>>>
>>> <description> could be in a <macrodef> in an antlib got from an <import>
>>> and it would still add it self the the project.
>>

>> Again, this doesn't make any sense to me!
>>

>>> The problem is that it is an "active" datatype, it adds itself to the
>>> project. Most datatypes are passive, the enclosing task makes use of
>>> them,
>>> or an id is used to specify that it is to be added to the project as a
>>> reference.
>>

>> Hopefully <description> is the only such weird type... --DD

ant 1.6.0 + java 1.4.2 on Linux 2.4.20 Debian