ant-user mailing list archives

From Pritesh saharey <prit...@sqatester.com>
Subject Re: AW: Installer using Ant - try JSmooth
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:29:20 GMT
No i hevan't created the Install shield wizard yet i am asking for help from all of you,
I wanted to create an graphical install shield wizard and i think it can be achived only through
third party tool if available.
As you know when you try to install any software a graphical install wizard comes which guides
you through the whole installation process just by clicking 'Next' buttons. This is what i
wanted to create using Ant, the whole idea is that when i run my build.xml file the final
output should be an setup.exe or rpm file of my application.

Pritesh Saharey
BE(Mech)
Software Engineer

--- "Lars Gersmann" <lars.gersmann@roxes.com> wrote:
you can also try the gpl'd roxes ant tasks
(http://www.roxes.com/produkte/rat.html)
which contains ant tasks for creating executables for windows/unix.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: John Burgess [mailto:john.burgess@riskdecisions.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 29. März 2004 13:41
An: Ant Users List; pritesh@sqatester.com; Ivan Ivanov;
reyes@charabia.net
Betreff: Re: Installer using Ant - try JSmooth

I'm not sure whether you are telling us you've done the InstallShield
installation, or are asking for help to do it.

If the later, my advice would probably be: DON'T

Check out JSmoothGen, an open source GPL licensed tool for wrapping a mini
.EXE round a jar file that will check for the presence of the correct
version of the JRE and prompt the user to install it if it doesn't exist.
It's much simpler to use than InstallShield and makes patching later much
simpler.  If you application contains multiple jars you can add them to the
class path.  It unfortunately won't read the main-class or class-path
entries from the jar's manifest but its easy enough to put those in again
manually.

The cream on the cake is that there is an ant task for this.