ant-user mailing list archives

From Brian Shields <bgshie...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: ant ignoring flags
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:54:21 GMT
yes keith, it did infact have a \ at the end. That is quite interesting, and nice to know in
general. Have put the CLASSPATH variable back in....without the \ ..... and it is working
fine.
Thanks guys,
Brian.

Keith Hatton <khatton@axiomsystems.com> wrote:
Did your CLASSPATH end in \ by any chance?
The JVM has a problem parsing command lines if you happen to put the classpath in quotes,
which the Ant script does (and which is fair enough, to cater for long filenames with spaces),
if the end is a \ character, because it sees \" and doesn't parse it the way you would expect.
Hence you get the standard "this is Java but I don't know what you wanted to do" message.

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Shields [mailto:bgshields@yahoo.com]
Sent: 25 March 2004 09:46
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: ant ignoring flags

sorry guys,
I have just removed the CLASSPATH variable and all is working fine now. Is this not strange
though. I thought ant created a classpath variable and appended the existing classpath to
it....similar to what tomcat does.
Brian

Brian Shields wrote:
i am running windows xp pro. JAVA_HOME is set to j2sdk1.4.2_03 home directory, ANT_HOME is
set to apache-ant-1.6.1 home directory. I have included the ANT_HOME\bin in my PATH variable
also.

I have also downloaded ant 1.5.2 and changed the ANT_HOME variable to there. This is the result
from an ant call.....has anything like this happened before? Maybe its my system (which i
should point out ran ant perfectly 2 days ago).
Thanks again,
Brian.

C:\tempAnt>ant
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
(to execute a class)
or java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
(to execute a jar file)
where options include:
-client to select the "client" VM
-server to select the "server" VM
-hotspot is a synonym for the "client" VM [deprecated]
The default VM is client.
-cp
-classpath
A ; separated list of directories, JAR archives,
and ZIP archives to search for class files.
-D=
set a system property
-verbose[:class|gc|jni]
enable verbose output
-version print product version and exit
-showversion print product version and continue
-? -help print this help message
-X print help on non-standard options
-ea[:
...|:]
-enableassertions[:
...|:]
enable assertions
-da[:
...|:]
-disableassertions[:
...|:]
disable assertions
-esa | -enablesystemassertions
enable system assertions
-dsa | -disablesystemassertions
disable system assertions

Matt Benson wrote:
What are your platform and ant-related environment
variable settings? Always try unsetting the system
CLASSPATH as well.

-Matt

--- Brian Shields wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to ant....1 day old in fact. I was running
> ant fine yesterday.
> Today, however, i was running a simple clean target
> and the compiler
> crashed due a corrupted jar file in my classpath. I
> have since removed
> it.
> However now ant is acting strangely...it ignores all
> flags etc typed
> after ant. For example if i run "ant -version" in a
> folder that does not
> contain a build.xml file i get a "build process
> failed error" since ant
> cant find the build file. If there is a build file
> present then it runs
> the default on this file. I have removed ant and
> downloaded it again
> but this has not solved the problem.
> Any ideas?
> Brian.
>

> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on
time.