ant-user mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Rob.Ander...@nike.com>
Subject RE: Best Practices for Database Tasks
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:05:34 GMT
Jordan, It seems that the challenge you face is to make different things occur during a build
depending on the environment. In your case this involves database stuff. I would recommend
creating a properties file for each environment (dev.properties, integration.properties, etc.).
In the integration.properties (for continuious builds) you may have something like...

db.rebuild=true

While in the dev.properties you leave this property out entirely. Then in the build.xml...

<property file="${env}.properties"/>
<target name="rebuild-database" if="db.rebuild">
</target>

Then call ant with a -Denv=integration or -Denv=dev depending on the machine. To make it easier,
if you are using unix, just create an alias in the users environment...

alias ant="ant -Denv=integration"

This strategy can be applied to many other environment specific things during a build. I hope
this helps.

-Rob Anderson