ant-user mailing list archives

From "Chappell, Simon P" <>
Subject RE: List of frequently found gotchas
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:16:56 GMT
Here's a thought:

There is a lot of fine documentation available at the web site and in the FAQs. This does
not appear to be the problem. Yet we do get a good deal of traffic consisting of questions
that could be answered by "Reading The Fine Manual".

Could we follow the pattern of a number of the newsgroups and post a reference to the FAQ
and manual and the website on a suitable time period? I follow comp.lang.objective-c, for
example, and they post a link to their FAQ every week. This seems to be very useful for a
number of reasons:

1. A message with a couple of links in does not take up much space.
2. It gives a very high signal to noise ratio.
3. It will remind people of the wonderful resources that are available.
4. We seem to have a good deal of new people joining the list, this gives them the information
that they need without them having to ask for it (newcomers can be shy).

Perhaps something like this could be posted on a weekly or fortnightly (bi-weekly for the
Americans on the list :-) basis as an experiment for a while.

View raw message