ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Requiring jar files in classpath (or $ANT_HOME/lib) for taskdefs
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:57:24 GMT
Quoting Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Jacob Kjome <hoju@visi.com> wrote:
>
> > Keep in mind that this is only true in the case of optional tasks
> > that ship with Ant.
>
> And then again only if you keep the corresponding .jar in
> ANT_HOME/lib.

yep, exactly as the rest of my message detailed.

> If you want <junit> to become independent from CLASSPATH and
> ANT_HOME/lib, move ant-junit.jar out of ANT_HOME/lib and <taskdef>
> junit using a <classpath> that points to the new location of
> ant-junit.jar and junit.jar, for example.

The issue with this is that the default Ant install has ant-junit.jar in
ANT_HOME/lib.  Since one generally cannot control a particular user's Ant setup,
your proposed solution, while being perfectly factual, is only applicable to
individual cases; for ones own build.  In junit's case, it is easier to just
tell users to put junit.jar in ANT_HOME/lib or user.home/.ant/lib.  The idea of
a JBoss-like unified classloader would solve this issue.  Of course, I'm
probably not going to implement it myself and I'm not holding my breath for
others to do so.  Just putting the idea out there with the hope that it might
pique someone's interest.

> Stefan

Jake