ant-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: No execute attribute on the <jar> task
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:23:45 GMT
Holliday, Donald B. (LNG-CSP) wrote:

>The <jar> task does not have an "execute" attribute.  If I run ant with
>j2sdk 1.4.2 it appears that ant will create my jar file using the jar tool
>that shipped with 1.4.2.

1) the <jar> task of ant is always in process,

>We still maintain code compiled with JDK 1.2.2.  If I compile the code using
>the 1.2.2 compiler, and then jar them up using the 1.4.2 jar tool, am I
>guaranteed that JDK 1.2.2 will be able to read the jar file correctly?

2) there are no compatibility issues concerning which JDK version does
the jarring, at least among Sun JDKs.
For instance you can jar with ant under JDK 1.4 and run under JDK 1.2
(as long as your *sources* do not use JDK 1.4 features).

>The workaround, of course, is to wrap ant in a script that sets JAVA_HOME
>before running ant, but that's just more code to write and maintain.

You do not need to do anything like that.

Cheers,
Antoine