ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: War update = true
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:36:02 GMT
--- "Ciramella, EJ" <ECiramella@emptoris.com> wrote:
> So when is war/uptodate="true" valuable (or
> zip/jar/war/ear for that
> matter)?

Ya got me.  ;)  Maybe when you just want to add files
to an archive and they don't all exist in an
uncompressed form?  Otherwise, someone might just have
a preference to update rather than rebuild.  Maybe
someone else has something more intelligent to say
about that.

Another generalization:  I wrote a custom task that
did dependency checking on lots of files.  As a
result, an incremental build was MUCH slower than a
clean build.  However, if you want to be able to use
file timestamps in correlation with move to production
dates, building incrementally would remain the way to
go.  Same concept, different context.  IMHO things
like this boil down to preference.

-Matt