ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ciramella, EJ" <ECirame...@emptoris.com>
Subject RE: Making ant build.xml file as flexible as Makefiles?
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:23:50 GMT
1.  Ant supports property files, so put all toplevel rules in a file called
won't be able to override these properties.  In my build scripts, I attempt
to load a property  file in ${env.USER_HOME} prior to loading the
build.properties file.
2.  I'm not exactly sure if you need the subdirectories files.  In my
experience with make, you need make files sprinkled all over your project
tree.  Ant doesn't need that at all.  If you have a well modularized
project/project, then I can understand the need for build files in the
subdirectories.  But, if this is the case, you'd want the build
functionality there, and in the uppermost build.xml file, just calls into
these targets.
3.  Ant has a concept called default targets
(http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#projects).  You can make this be
anything.  In my build files, the default target (the one that gets executed
when you don't specify a target) does the compile and builds the beans.  You
could make the default target anything.

-----Original Message-----
From: Baz ¤Ñª° [mailto:sky_fox1@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 11:32 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Making ant build.xml file as flexible as Makefiles?

All,

How can I make my Ant files structure as flexible and as simple as
Makefiles? Here is the case:

1. Top level Rules.mak
2. Few lines in subdirectories' makefiles, for example,
target=libsomething.a
3. Just type make to compile.

How can I create same structure and usage in Ant? Any examples?

Thanks

B.