ant-user mailing list archives

From "didge" <>
Subject RE: Debug Struts/J2EE built with Ant?
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:25:47 GMT
You can set up a remote debugging session with IDEA (from the Debug entries
dialog, select the Remote tab), but it's simple enough run or debug Ant
builds within IDEA itself, here's all you have to do:
0. Ensure that ant.jar is in your project's classpath.  I generally put
everything else that my app uses in the classpath, too, though it may not be
absolutely necessary.
1. Create a new debug configuration and set the main class to
2. Set the following VM parameters:
  a.  -DANT_HOME=<your ant home>
3.  Set the following program parameters:
  a.  [-f <your build file>] [-debug] target0 ...
4.  Set the working directory to the directory containing your build file.

I use this technique to debug custom ant tasks and you can even debug OC4J
within IDEA (the main class is com.evermind.server.OC4JServer,
set -DJAVA_HOME, and set the working directory to $OC4J_HOME/j2ee/home.)

With OC4J, you can follow their instructions for Building and Deploying
within a Directory
ed.htm#1010342) so that you won't have to redeploy between editing and