ant-user mailing list archives

From "Graham Reeds" <grah...@ntlworld.com>
Subject RE: Ant 1.6.0 Long Filename support
Date Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:34:35 GMT
> Hi Graham,
>
> your issue seems more connected to spaces in paths that to long
> file names.
>
> Can you tell us :
> - what is "tool" (a .bat file ?) that you run from TexPad,

The tool is the ant.bat that comes with Ant and resides in %ANT_HOME%\bin.

> - what is the value of ANT_HOME in your system,

ANT_HOME = C:\Program Files\Apache Group\apache-ant-1.6.0

> - what is the value of JAVA_HOME

JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.3.1_09

> - is CLASSPATH set as an environment variable before you start ant; if
> it is set, can you try running ant without CLASSPATH,

When I run without the CLASSPATH it complains that build.xml wasn't found
(my working directory had defaulted to desktop due to the text file that
held my CLASSPATH settings). Change to my working directory and - hey
presto - it worked (sort of).

> - can you start ant from the command prompt (directly without TextPad
> and your "tool"),

When I run it with CLASSPATH set it gives 'Files\Apache was unexpected at
this time.'  Works without.

However I now get compile errors with

    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to
C:\java\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3\webapps\utopia\WEB-INF\classes
    [javac] D:\develop\www.digital-utopia.co.uk\src\UtopiaServlet.java:8:
package javax.servlet does not exist
    [javac] import javax.servlet.*;

Which means it can't import the packages - CLASSPATH is still needed.  I
tried setting the CLASSPATH in the ant.bat but that brings back the earlier
error.

I thought CLASSPATH was an integral part of Tomcat and ergo reluctant to
remove it.  I am suprised that when I had tomcat and apache installed in
directories without spaces I never encountered this error or is this a new
feature with 1.6?

Take care,
Graham Reeds.