ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: presetdef vs. macrodef
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:15:29 GMT
> From: Stirling, Scott [mailto:scott.stirling@workscape.com]
> I sort of get some of the differences between <presetdef> and <macrodef>,
> but I don't understand the motivation behind <presetdef>.  Can anyone
> explain why <presetdef> exists when we have <macrodef>?  It seems like
> they overlap, if <macrodef> doesn't actually subsume everything that
> <presetdef> can do.  Not knowing how the two came into existence, I don't
> understand the motivation, and am unsure why/when I should use
> <presetdef>.

I asked this same question some time ago, and although I don't remember
the full answer, one difference is that <presetdef> still gives you access
to all the attributes/elements of the 'decorated' task, while with
<macrodef>, you define yourself which attributes/elements the new macro
accepts, irrelevant of what the tasks used by the macro accept.

At least I could remember one difference ;-) --DD