ant-user mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Kajsa" <Kajsa.Ander...@thomson.com>
Subject RE: forked javac task runs out of memory
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:29:00 GMT
I use
<javac srcdir="${build.RID}/Source"
	destdir="${build.RID}/build"
	fork="true"
	memoryMaximumSize="256m">
</javac>

>From the manual:
"The maximum size of the memory for the underlying VM, if javac is run
externally; ignored otherwise. Defaults to the standard VM memory setting."

I think you read this backwards - it says it's ignored if javac is _not_
running externally. If you think about it, this makes sense - if it's
running interally (in the same JVM as ant), the max memory size has already
been set.

Perhaps there is a way to word the documentation to be more clear...

Kajsa Anderson

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Wood [mailto:ewood@llbean.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 2:22 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: forked javac task runs out of memory

I am running a javac task against a 1.2.2 compiler, but it is running out of
memory.  The javac task documentation says that there is a attribute for
setting the Max memory size (memoryMaximumSize), but it says that it is
ignored if you are running javac externally.

How do I set increase the memory allocation for the forked JVM?

my task implementation is:
<javac
	    destdir="${classes.dir}"
	    srcdir="${java.src.dir}"
	    debug="off"
	    fork="yes"
	    executable="C:\jdk1.2.2\bin\javac"
	    compiler="javac1.2">

	    <include name="**/*.java" />
	    <exclude name="LLB_WISMO_POC/**/*.java" />

	    <classpath>
	        <fileset dir="./LLB_SUPPORT">
        	    <include name="**/*.jar"/>
	        </fileset>