ant-user mailing list archives

From Dale Anson <dan...@germane-software.com>
Subject Re: << Graphical User Interface for Ant >>
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:18:37 GMT
Antelope won't do any more than any text editor for creating scripts. It
is really intended more as an easy way to run Ant scripts rather than
creating them. When used with jEdit as a plugin, it is worth installing
the XML plugin also. The XML plugin supplies auto tag completion and
some dialogs for setting attributes, coupled with Antelope, it makes a
pretty decent package for editing Ant files.

I have envisioned creating a drag and drop interface for Antelope for
quite a while, something like where you could pick tasks from a list and
drop them on a target, setting attributes as appropriate (picking from a
list, etc). If anyone has used the old Wise installer application,
that's the sort of interface I was thinking of. It turns out that this
is hard -- the Ant API doesn't really look at tasks as being like java
beans, so it's hard to find out exactly what a task allows for attribute
values and nested elements. I'd be interested to know if anyone has come
up with something like this.

Dale