ant-user mailing list archives

From "Morten S. Mortensen" <>
Subject RE: Target Aliases?
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:13:33 GMT

...I somewhat argue, that if I want to comment why a target depends on each element in a list,
I can - with my pseudo-illustation - put it in front of single "<depend>"-elements,
not a separat list in front of the usual "depends"-list... If a dependency-list is long, comments
become more local to what they comment and its is much faster to see what comments what and
what is missing - I see this as an advantage.

     - - -

</depends>" contrary to 'depends="....comma-separated list...."'.

The *main* argument in favor of the existing "depends" is "short and somewhat friendly to
humans", while my main argument in favor of my pseudo-illustration is, that it is easier to
manipulate with tools (XSLT, SAX, DOM, ... recognizes the structure of "entity" and "attribute",
not the values of e.g. the comma-separated "depends"-list).

The premisses for the two "depends"-constructions are different, one could say.

The "depends"-list-whatever could be equivalent to a "multiple-target-name" construction.
So, my answer to the original post of the thread is - 1) yes, I also see a value in "target
alias" or "allowing a single target to have multiple target-names" and 2) yes, I would prefer
to have it in the form of my pseudo-illustration and not yet another comma-separated list
and 3) yes, by the way, I have for a long time thought, that "comma-separated lists within
attributes prohibits the use of tools", like I think is the case with the "depends"-attribute
in Ant and e.g. more ancient dominated formats like the "content"-attribute within HTML/XHTML
in "meta"-entities like '<meta name="keywords" content ="...long comma-separated list of

Morten Sabroe Mortensen