ant-user mailing list archives

From "Morten S. Mortensen" <morten.morten...@tietoenator.com>
Subject RE: Target Aliases?
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:43:59 GMT

It is not a bad idea!!

I have begun putting a "namespace" upon target-names - like "project:build", "project:clean",
"project:all" and "util:mbmon", "util:wol". I also use "private:" on all targets not meant
to be invoked from the outside - targets kind of miss a scope, but that is something different
than the namespace.

Internally, I link all targets with e.g. the "project:"-prefix. However, I define an "alias"-target
for the long targets - e.g. a "build"-target which depends upon the "project:build" target.

The "project:build" carries the target-description, while the short "build" does not. The
first gets printed when using "ant -p".

IT WOULD BE NICE to allow targets to have multiple names!!! It would also be nice to allow
empty depends-attributes, since this simplifies editing - and it would be nice to skip the
depends-comma-list in favour of something more structured like using entities instead of a
*list*-attribute, since the first can be handled in a more generic way when programmatically
manipulating files:

<target>
  <names>
    <name>project:build</name>
    <name>build</name>
  </names>
  <depends>
    <!-- Compile the lot: -->
    <depend>private:compile</depends>
    <!-- Build the main archive: -->
    <depend>private:archive</depends>
    <!-- Construct the static runtime environment: -->
    <depend>private:runtime</depends>
  </depends>

</target>

It would also become more natural to put comments upon Ant-statements.
Yes, I know, that Ant is somewhat targeted agains manual writing - hence e.g. the depends-list
as it has always been.

Regards,
  Morten Sabroe Mortensen