ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <>
Subject Re: Why did the ant.bat wrapper change in 1.6?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:28:28 GMT
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:15 pm, Cyril Sagan wrote:
> I'm experimenting with migration to Ant 1.6.
> It seems that the ant.bat wrapper has changed.  Now it only works
> if I set CLASSPATH in the invoking environment.  Can anyone help?
> What happened to the "add %ANT_HOME%\lib\*.jar" semantics of the
> 1.5.x ant.bat wrapper?

There are two reasons the wrapper was changed.

1. To get code from troublesome, os-specific scripts which sometimes worked
into Java where it could be more easily managed. If you've tried to work on
ant.bat across Win2k, Win98, WinME and 4Dos, you'd understand why this is an
improvment. There are some issues with this transition but mostly it should

2. To address a paricular bug on Windows systems
( This bug was
likely to strike many more people in Ant 1.6 due to the much greater number
of ant jars resulting from the breakup of optional.jar.

The new launcher also removes the need for lcp.bat which had some issues with
spaces in directory names.

The first step in debugging such issues is to turn on echo in ant.bat and see
what command line is actually being used to start Ant's launch code. The next
is to confirm the directory layout is as expected, etc.

To debug further, I'd want to see the echo output, as well as the following

value %ANT_HOME%
dir listing of %ANT_HOME% and %ANT_HOME%\lib

I use the new launcher code on Win2k all the time without issue.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message