ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forking JUnit (was Re: Ant not passing System values to JUnit task)
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:36:41 GMT
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Adam R. B. Jack <ajack@trysybase.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but this caught my eye & reminded me of this issue that
> exists on Gump's that run (typically on Linux) without an X server
> available. I believe it is a known JDK issue:

Somewhat, yes.

AWT in JDK < 1.4 doesn't work in headless (i.e. without an X server
running) on Unix like systems at all.  The traditional solution is to
run Xvfb.

JDK 1.4 introduced java.awt.headless in Sun's VMs (what you are using
in your invocation).  I'd expect it to work in IBM's as well, but I'm
not sure - even less so for Apple's VM that doesn't really work unless
the user running the Java VM is logged in at the console at all.

> Does Ant have any control over the way the forked JVM is created?

Yes.

> Is there any way to influence this without expecting the user to
> write script changes & rely upon 'environment portal' scripts?

No.  The syspropertyset in 1.6 (see my previous mail in the original
thread) would work - but the user still has to add it manually.

We might be able to introduce some magic property for Gump and
friends, but don't hold your breath.  I live in the outer west of
Germany and prefer red whine over beer, in case you want to bribe me
;-)

Stefan