ant-user mailing list archives

From joseph.mil...@brightline.com
Subject Fw: AW: Ant and Norton Antivirus 2004 on XP
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:40:56 GMT
For those that may have wondered, below is the result some timing tests I
was getting using Cygwin's time tool.

With Auto-Protect enabled:
D:\dev\java>c:\cygwin\bin\time  d:/ant/bin/ant.bat -version
Apache Ant version 1.5.4 compiled on August 12 2003
0.01user 0.73system 2:33.87elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
6720maxresident)k

With Auto-Protect disabled:
D:\dev\java>c:\cygwin\bin\time  d:/ant/bin/ant.bat -version
Apache Ant version 1.5.4 compiled on August 12 2003
0.02user 0.02system 0:00.38elapsed 10%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
6864maxresident)k

Notice the very large difference in elapsed time (although it clearly
wasn't as long as my subjective estimate of 3-4 minutes).

But, today, mysteriously, the problem has disappeared.  the only change I
can discern is a new virus definitions dated 12/10/2003 was pulled today
by LiveUpdate.  I throw up my hands in disgust...

--Joe
Joseph Millar <joseph.millar@brightline.com>
Principal Software Engineer
Brightline Technology, Inc.
1-603-433-1999 x18
----- Forwarded by Joseph Millar/Brightline on 12/10/2003 05:37 PM -----

joseph.millar@brightline.com
12/08/2003 06:16 PM
Please respond to
"Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>

vim@vim.org
cc
Ant Users List <user@ant.apache.org>
Subject
Re: AW: Ant and Norton Antivirus 2004 on XP

Jing Xue <vim@manifoldronin.com> wrote on 12/08/2003 06:08:13 PM:
> I run Ant 1.5.4, XP SP1, JDK 1.4.1 with NAV 2003 Corporate Edition.
> On another
> machine I run Ant 1.6 Beta 3, XP SP1, JDK 1.4.1 with some other NAV
programs
> (namely Avast 4.1 and Pest Patrol).  I have never had anything
> similar to your
> experience on either machine.

grumble, grumble...

> Can you stably reproduce the problem, e.g., a clean reboot, turning on
Auto
> Protection, Ant hangs, turning off Auto Protection, Ant works again?

Yes, it is entirely consistant.  I've rebooted several times.  If you turn

autoprotect off, ant works fine.  Turn it back on, ant pauses for 3
minutes before continuing.  What's really odd about this is just yesterday

everything was working fine and try as I might I can't come up with
anything substantive change (other than to a number of my source files).

> BTW, from my personal experience, I suspect you'll get anything material

from
> Symantec, ever.  8-)

Oh joy.