ant-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <>
Subject AW: Ant and Norton Antivirus 2004 on XP
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:07:58 GMT
Hi Joseph,
I am using ant and Norton Professional 2003 on Windows 2000 and I have no
special problems.
However, ant 1.6 has been modified to do retries when deleting files or
creating directories,
largely with antivirus software in mind. Before the fixes, ant would not
hang, but would throw exceptions
when competing with NAV.
This is about all I can say on the matter, maybe others on the list have

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: []
Gesendet: Montag, 8. Dezember 2003 23:05
Betreff: Ant and Norton Antivirus 2004 on XP

Hi, folks, I'm new to the list.  Been using ant for several weeks now and
started having a problem this morning that maybe someone recognizes.  The
archive listing on the website is a broken link, and Google is yeilding
nothing useful.  I hope this isn't

I work for a startup and we are using ant for our builds.  Been working
like a champ for a quite awhile (months).  About a month ago, I installed
Norton AntiVirus 2004 and while I've had a few problems,  after a shaky
period and some tweaking with OE, it works fine and has been for the past
month, along side ant.

As of this morning, ant started showing some bizarre behavior.  When I run
it, it starts and then pauses for like 3-4 minutes (that's minutes, not
seconds), then finally does what it's supposed to do.  For example, a
simple "ant -help" takes a full 3 minutes to display the standard usage
message.  I was very perpelexed as nothing signficant had changed on my
laptop (other than showing up at work).  I started poking things to to see
what wriggled, and after a long while I turned off the autoprotect feature
on NAV.  Voila, ant starts working again.  These two have been working
together without problems for several weeks now with no issues.

Has anyone seen this behavior before?  I'm suspecting that NAV is scanning
the various jar files that ant is using (ie. ant.jar and others) every
time ant starts and that is what is causing the delay.  Why this has
started happening all of a sudden, I have no idea.  I do use Norton's
LiveUpdate, but whether it pulled an update overnight, I can't say as I
can't find any activitly log that shows this information.  I did another
LiveUpdate, hoping it was a bad update and there was a fix, but while it
did find a Core update, after installation and rebooting, the problem
still exists.

I figure I can't be the only one in the world using ant and NAV 2004, so
I'm hoping someine can either tell me what my issue is, or confirm the

Joseph Millar <>
Principal Software Engineer
Brightline Technology, Inc.
1-603-433-1999 x18