ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: xls2xml task
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:30:27 GMT
We are thinking about generating the manual with XDoclet from source code.
Generated would be xml files which are processed with Velocity or Anakia
(both at the time used for generating the website). I think your suggestion
would fit into this scenario and we could have another block of tasks "core,
optional, external" with a leading text that the external manual is not
maintained by the Ant project.

But generation the manual we have to provide a stable xml format ...

Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: Michiel Kalkman [mailto:m.kalkman@euronext.nl]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:51 AM
To: 'Ant Users List'
Subject: RE: xls2xml task

Yes, but I think that more people know Ant than there are people that know
POI. So, POI needs more PR than Ant, which favors making it a optional task.

This brings me to another idea I had:

I do like the way tasks are described in the manual. On the left side, you
have an index; clicking on a task name gives you its description and usage
in the right frame.

Now, what I would like to see (in the manual) is a dynamically generated
page with external tasks, displaying all external tasks that are known and
when you click on an external task in the menu, you'll get a usage
description on the right (which is found outside ant.apache.org).

This allows you to easily browse through the externally available tasks,
instead of having to click through and from the external tasks and tools
page.

To implement this, think of a procedure like:
- Everybody who creates a new task, publishes an XML page, containing for
each task the location of its description. The location of this XML file is
made known to the ant.apache.org representative.

- This representative adds the location of this XML file to a list of XML
file
- If the ant manual is published with cocoon, I can imagine that this
external task is immediately added to the external tasks page.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Michiel Kalkman

Sun Certified Java Programmer
Sun Certified Java Developer
Sun Certified Web Components Developer
IBM Certified Developer - XML and Related Technologies
jCert Certified Solution Developer for WSAD 4.0.3

Atos Origin Financial IT Services BV
P.O. Box 59359
1040 KJ  AMSTERDAM
Tel: +31 20 713 7000