ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: xls2xml task
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:02:44 GMT
http://www.geocities.com/xls2xml.
> Its intention is to be able read excel sheets and convert the data it
contains into one or more xml
> file(s). Which might be useful if your client only knows MS Excel and you
don't want to manually extract
> data from these files.
> It is a very simple and crude task at the moment - it works only with
simple data. E.g. dates are
> currently not correctly converted. The sources could also use a cleanup.
> However, it might still be useful to some of us.
> Unless somebody tells me how I can better convert excel sheets into xml
through Ant, I intend to
> remain working on it (lots of to-do's on my list ...).
> However, as I have other interests as well, I also intend to work on and
lobby for this task to become
> part of the optional tasks of ant, so others can have a go at this as
well. The other main reason for
> this to happen, is that the xls2xml task is based on POI, another apache
project, and I guess apache
> projects should make some PR for each other, shouldn't they ?.
> Regards,
> Michiel Kalkman

Sounds good. You say that this task should become an optional task. But I
think it should be part of
POI. There is more support on that, I think. Then we can add a reference on
the external task page
(we can do it now too, if you want).

btw we always make PR for others :-)

Jan