ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: <classpath> and <path> -
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:43:47 GMT
On Dec 31, 2003, at 10:53 AM, DevKon wrote:

> Regarding <classpath> :
>
>> From the manual:
>
> ////
>    <classpath>
>       <pathelement path="${classpath}"/>
>     </classpath>
> ///
>
> What is ${classpath} referring to?

It is an Ant property reference.

>  Also, how do I get to print variables or properties
> <echo>${classpath}/<echo> prints "${classpath}", how do I get the
> actual value?

In this case, the actual value is undefined, that is what it means when
you see the property echo'd like that.  The Ant property has not been
defined in the build file.

> Regarding <path>:  what is <path> exactly - a type, a task etc.  I see
> path definitions in various example scripts but haven't seen a formal
> definition in the docs.

<path> is a data type.  In the docs it is called a "path-like
structure".  It is documented here:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#path

I haven't plugged our book in a long long time, but I just saw a nice
mention of it in the blogworld today:
<http://www.werner.be/blog/page/werner/
20031231#java_development_with_ant_good>

I definitely recommend it for learning the Ant basics!  :)

	Erik