ant-user mailing list archives

From Chris Wood <ch...@thesprocket.org>
Subject Re: Problem on OS/400
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:58:40 GMT
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 15:06, Jack J. Woehr wrote:
> But if you *can* build Ant on OS/400, the problem is very much narrowed down.
> Or if in building Ant on OS/400, you have little problems which you overcome,
> they may add up to solving the big problem you have. And that is my hope
> and expectation.

Ok, I've had some time to try and get the source for beta3 compiled on
OS400.

Here's what I found:
I set the JAVA_HOME variable to be the path to the IBM-supplied JDK,
which is /qibm/proddata/java400/jdk13.
Tried to run the build.sh shell script. It won't run the bootstrap
script. This is a common OS400 qsh problem, as 'sh' isn't in /bin. I
modified build.sh to simply call 'sh bootstrap.sh', and this worked
around this problem.
I could then call 'sh build.sh' from qsh to run the build process.

I then get the two lines:
   ... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
   ... Compiling Ant Classes

Just like I get on other platforms, such as Linux.

However, after a suitably OS400-sized pause, I then get a large stream
of errors.
The first one is:
 src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/Project.java:65: Class java.util.Iterator
not found in import.    import java.util.Iterator;           ^

(sorry, wrapping has broken the effect on this somewhat. The ^ was
pointing to the j of java on the last line)

This sounds like a classpath issue to me, but I'm no expert. I've tried
manually setting the classpath to include the path to rt.jar which
should have this class. Note that the IBM supplied J2sdk is a little odd
- it doesn't have a jre directory - the rt.jar file is in the main lib
directory. Manually setting the classpath to this makes zero difference.

> > I really don't see how trying to build it will get me any closer to why
> > it doesn't run.
>
> To build Ant, Ant has to run (there's a little Ant jar compiled in the Ant source
> distribution). You build by running a script, build.sh .... please try it and tell me
> what happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

C.