ant-user mailing list archives

From "DevKon" <dev...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: <classpath> and <path> -
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:38:43 GMT
Thanks for the response, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

I have been looking at the Ant docs  -
http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#path is where I took the code
snippets from.  I have to admit my question was not clear- going trough
tutorials gives me a headache.  I like very concise, formalized
descriptions.

Re <path>:
I've been looking for a description (similar to DTD or XSD) of the
build.xml file, haven't been able to find one.

The manual states that  a project consists of targets, targets are composed
by tasks etc, so I would expect nothing but target definitions within a
<project> tag . I have been looking at the docs and I DON"T SEE <path> tag
explanation or definition; the fact that I could actually define <path> tag
within the <project > tag in my tests confuses me. I understand - I can
define PATHs and have IDs for referrence purposes, but ... I would like to
see definition - black on white

Re <classpath>:
I've seen many build.xml examples referring to a "classpath" property and no
property definition at all within the file. In fact, I couldn't find any
example (google) having defined that property, which lead me to believe that
"classpath" (just like the <path> tag) is something legit in Ant and I just
couldn't find a description for.

I looked at the chapter again (
http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#path ) and don't see <path> tag
definition. The notion of path-like structure is clear. The fact that some
tasks (<typedef> <taskdef>) have "path" and/or "classpath" attributes is
clear. I haven't tried but I thing that path-like structures was meant as
datatype description for such attributes.

Am I correct or not?

Thanks