ant-user mailing list archives

From David McTavish <dmctav...@sandvine.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Seeking input from the comunity at large.
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:15:59 GMT
I appreciate your effort, but I would plead with you to reconsider throwing
a year of your life away. The world really doesn't need a "new" programming
language that will solve all of its problems. I'm sure you've done enough
research into this so far, but I don't think you realize WHY certain
languages gain success. From the short of it, its either centered around
marketing dollars, OR, has an emphasis on high code-output. When trying to
tackle these two distinct "markets", you're going to find, that
a) you don't have the dollars to compete with Java, C#, or an established
C++ development platform
b) you won't be able to gain the grassroots support enjoyed by Perl, PHP,
and Python.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately), someone has already bore this path, and
trying to create a new language to resolve all of the elements that you feel
are "missing" from any particular language will only result in a serious
amount of wasted effort. I would believe that it would be more prudent to
investigate some of the other languages that are "open" that you could
contribute your time and benefit an already established community, instead
of trying to create your own.

Also, your code snippets look like nothing really innovative as to really
require the invention of a new language. From my first perusal, it seems
like a blending of Tcl with Java. Overall, I think that Java is a bit more
elegant, as the requirement to prefix every method with a colon would grow
somewhat tedious. Anyway, apologies for the rant, I'm just trying to provide
some insight into the mountain of effort you're wandering towards in
relation to the lack of reward you'll ever witness.

Regards,
David McTavish