ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: endorsed [was : style task disagreeing with xalan and saxon]
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:38:11 GMT
> From: Antoine Lévy-Lambert [mailto:antoine@antbuild.com]
>
> Dominique Devienne also would like to have endorsed in ant.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel/24253/match=endorsed
> If you want, you can continue this discussion on the development list, and
> submit a patch for the endorsed feature.
>
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
>
> Keep in mind that the packages in xml-apis.jar and in xalan.jar are
> "endorsed packages".  As such, unless Ant sets the endorsed directory like
> Tomcat does, the *only* way you will get your desired behavior under
> j2sdk1.4+ is if you put your preferred versions of these libraries in
> JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed.  At that point, it doesn't much matter what is
> in ANT_HOME/lib, although you will need to have xercesImpl.jar somewhere
> (doesn't need to be in jre/lib/endorsed since the JDK doesn't include
> xerces as it does xalan and the various xml-related standards packages).
>
> I would suggest that Ant might want to set up an "endorsed" directory
> (eg...  "ANT_HOME/endorsed" where, minimally, xml-apis.jar would go by
> default and would be the appropriate place to put xalan.jar and probably
> xercesImpl.jar in case a non-preferred version already exists in
> JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed for some reason) since it is so common to need
> newer versions of endorsed libraries than the JDK provides.  Why hasn't
> this been done in Ant yet?  Has no one suggested it before?

Indeed. I suspect though that the patch is not trivial and hard to test.
It's not just the matter of fixing the various Ant startup scripts, but also
to deal with any task that (potentially) forks! Right now, I don't think Ant
passes down to these forked processes its own key Java system properties
like boot.class.path, java.ext.dir, java.endorsed.dir, etc... which affect
heavily how the JVM 'behaves'. Might be under the control of the existing
'includeAntRuntime' or 'includeSystemRuntime' attributes, or new ones?!?!?

--DD