ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steph Richardson" <st...@kvasar.com>
Subject RE: compiling packages in an explicit order with javac
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:45:16 GMT
Thanks Scott,

or (c) enforce your explicitly designed dependancies from the start of the project, keeping
you from needing to analyze them after
the fact.

which is what i've been doing.
I had looked at JDepend before but for our purposes, I didn't like the idea of an after the
fact report that told developers when
they were breaking our intended dependancy trees. Although i have used it to analyze large
packages that need to be broken up.

I will look at JDepends APIs for enforcing this - thanks for the tip.

Otherwise it seems the best way to do this for now, is stick with an explicitly coded list
of <antcall>'s or the more terse
<foreach> approach.

Steph

script unless you (a)just get lucky
> or (b) analyze and enforce the dependencies.  Pasta is a good free tool for doing the
analysis:
> http://javacentral.compuware.com/pasta/
>
> Other tools that are more or less accurate or free are SmallWorlds and JDepend (which
has an Ant task and an API for
> enforcing dependencies programmatically through JUnit tests).
>
> > From: Steph Richardson
> > >chris - the type of dependancy checking I mean is
> > >dependancies between packages, not between .java & .class
> > >files. I want to have an explicit compilation order, to
> > >prohibit circular references between my packages.
>
> What I do is analyze and identify the dependencies with Pasta.  This takes manual effort
with the tool (i.e., the tool
> doesn't fix anything, it just reports, although Pasta does have some features to "fix"
dependencies based on your input,
> I think).  Then we do some refactoring with the code to eliminate circular, undesirable
and wrong-direction dependencies.
>   Then we simply use the build order and classpath settings in the <javac> targets
to enforce the dependencies in the