ant-user mailing list archives

From "Olivier Vierlinck" <Olivier.Vierli...@iba.be>
Subject RE: "ant -n", How to display tasks and args WITHOUT executing them
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:44:01 GMT
Yes -debug is really good... but tasks are executed!!

So,
- if something is wrong, it's to late!
- executing task might be time too consuming when one just wants to get the dependencies,
not the job done
But anyway, I guess I don't have to convince you of the usefulnes of the "make -n"  ;-)

And about the extension of tasks, this can be a new method in the base Task class. We can
not force someone to provide useful implementation, just ask for it!! Anyway, this would be
a nice add-on but less important than the 'kernel' ant dependency graph mentionned above...

Anybody aware of similar suggestion sent to the dev's mailing list?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de [mailto:Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 1:31 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: RE: "ant -n", How to display tasks and args WITHOUT executing
them

> Yes, I understand this part!
>
> But I think it would already be very useful information to
> know that Ant would start 'jar' with such and such args, from
> such place and so on.
> After that, we could say that it's up to the user to know
> what is a 'jar' task, what it does and when.

That would printed with '-debug' if Ant would use the jar tool.
But it uses a usual ZipOutputStream. And most of the available tasks
are implemented in java and are not simple wrappers for tools.

> (or a next step would be to be able to ask each specific ant
> task not to do anything but just describe what it 'would' do.
> But this is not part of the 'core' ant itself, but rather
> something to delegate to every task class, probably through
> some common interface)

That would be possible, I think. But a lot of work. And should be
require that from each task? I think <echo> is fine without that ...

Jan