ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: Including directories that may or may not exist
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:31:09 GMT
> Quoting Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>:
> > <war> (and any other task of the <zip> family) will only work on
> > existing files and directories.  You'll have to make sure that they
> > exist using <mkdir> (which will silently do nothing if the directory
> > already exists).
>
> Would it make sense to have an 'optional' attribute on a
> fileset and/or
> pathelement to indicate that it should be skipped if the
> directory or file
> doesn't exist?  Or people might think this would be error-prone?

Sorry, new in this thread.

But what do you mean with 'optional' attribute?
Scenario:
  <zip destfile="dir1/myzip.zip">
      <fileset dir="mybasedir" includes="subdir1/,subdir2/"/>
  </zip>

- "dir1" must exist, usually you add a <mkdir dir="dir1"/> before the <zip>
- "mybasedir" must exist (I think); here the optional attribute could make
sense
- "subdir1" and "subdir2" donĀ“t have to exist; only if they exist they are
  selected by the DirectoryScanner used by <fileset>

So the only scenario for your "optional" suggestion would be
  <zip ...>
      <fileset dir="may-not-exist" optional="true"/>
      <fileset dir="must-exist"/>
  </zip>
So that task wouldnt fail.

Jan