ant-user mailing list archives

From Jan.Mate...@rzf.fin-nrw.de
Subject RE: "ant -n", How to display tasks and args WITHOUT executing the m
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:31:07 GMT
> Yes, I understand this part!
>
> But I think it would already be very useful information to
> know that Ant would start 'jar' with such and such args, from
> such place and so on.
> After that, we could say that it's up to the user to know
> what is a 'jar' task, what it does and when.

That would printed with '-debug' if Ant would use the jar tool.
But it uses a usual ZipOutputStream. And most of the available tasks
are implemented in java and are not simple wrappers for tools.

> (or a next step would be to be able to ask each specific ant
> task not to do anything but just describe what it 'would' do.
> But this is not part of the 'core' ant itself, but rather
> something to delegate to every task class, probably through
> some common interface)

That would be possible, I think. But a lot of work. And should be
require that from each task? I think <echo> is fine without that ...

Jan