ant-user mailing list archives

From Robert Priest <Robert.Pri...@bentley.com>
Subject RE: Exec creates a new Shell?
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:52:43 GMT
Thanks for the response Chris.

So do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for being able to run a
command in ant in the CURRENT shell that ant is running in?

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:45 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Exec creates a new Shell?

Robert,
 > Does the Exec command create a new cmd shell on Winnt systems?

Yep. It creates a new shell on UNIX systems, too. Otherwise, it would
not be able to run programs and wait for them to finish...

[snip]

>      [exec] 4NT  4.01A   Windows 2000 5.0
>      [exec] Copyright 1988-2001  Rex Conn & JP Software Inc.  All Rights
> Reserved
>
>      [exec] 4NT: Unknown command "E:\Program"
>      [exec] 4NT, S/N 254923.  Licensed to Bentley Systems for use on up to
> 100 computers.
>      [exec] May not be distributed to others.

Ant seems to be finding your 4NT.EXE just fine -- you can see the
startup messages right there. The problem is likely to be that it is
trying to run a program that is in "E:\Program Files\whatever\whatever",
but the argument vector being passed is splitting the path incorrectly
(or correctly, depending on who you ask :).

I'll bet that if you look at your build.xml script, you'll see that you
are invoking a program with a long path like that. See if you can
specify the path using old-skool 8.3 syntax. Are you calling "make" or
something like that? You /are/ building a DLL...

Java often has problems with spaces in path names, and I'd imagine it
only gets worse when you throw-in a native shell, too.

-chris