ant-user mailing list archives

From "Sikha, Naresh" <Naresh.Si...@schwab.com>
Subject RE: Cutting Ant overhead (was "Could Ant build scripts be compile d?")
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:11:00 GMT
+1!

I brainstormed this spaced and dubbed it the 'Console IDE'. AntShell (antsh)
is also a start at this .....

http://rhinohide.cx/antsh/antsh.html

Cheers.

-Naresh Sikha

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Wagner [mailto:richmwagner@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 11:44 AM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Cc: richmwagner@hotmail.com
Subject: Cutting Ant overhead (was "Could Ant build scripts be
compiled?")

Well, not to discourage anyone from actually implementing a compiler, if
they so desire...

Maybe concentrating on the 80/20 rule-of-thumb is best first.  I mean, yes,
compiled Ant code would no doubt be fastest (theoretically), but...

What if an Ant front-end existed which did two things...  First, the
front-end would be Java-based, have either a GUI or a simple stdin-based
command interpreter.  But most importantly, the front-end would NOT quit (a
la "System.exit") after one Ant invocation and before the next Ant
invocation.  For instance, the front-end could call Ant's "main" directly,
instead of spawning a new sub-process for each "Ant" invocation.   (Calls to

System.exit in Ant would need to be "caught", e.g. via a SecurityManager
restriction...)

What does that buy ?  Well, you then incur JVM (and a LOT of class-loading)
start-up costs only once, instead of once PER Ant invocation.

Secondly, and going one step farther...  Instead of the front-end calling
Ant's "main" method, the front-end could potentially use a modified version
of that "main" method's code -- specifically an implementation which uses
cached XML Dom trees which correspond to formerly read and parsed Ant build
files.  Doing so would again replace the once-per-Ant-invocation XML parsing

cost with a once-per-buildfile parsing cost.

Again, these things would fall short of what a compiler could do (though the

compiled code should ideally avoid the JVM-startup per Ant invocation cost,
right ?).

Just some thoughts...

Rich Wagner