ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stirling, Scott" <scott.stirl...@workscape.com>
Subject RE: Could Ant build scripts be compiled?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:54:35 GMT
> From: Matt Benson [mailto:gudnabrsam@yahoo.com]
>
> Wouldn't it be easiest to add "implements
> Serializable" as far down the object hierarchy as
> possible, then add a command-line option to Main to
> serialize the Project to a specified file instead of
> executing targets?  Or clone Main if you wanted to
> keep it out of Ant proper?

Yes.  It sounds do-able.  It would be interesting to prototype.  Main would need to be modified
to load a serialized Project too.

I liked Jan's email.  Very off-the-cuff and funny.

As Simon said, with enough lines of code you can do anything.  There could be some other ways
to do this, but probably not without some more interesting changes to the Ant runtime.  A
related but different question is: if build scripts were compiled classes, could the Ant execution
engine take advantage of it in more ways than by-passing the XML parsing?  I'm thinking "no,"
but, maybe I need a cup of coffee. ;->

Scott Stirling
Workscape, Inc.

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you
immediately.