ant-user mailing list archives

From "Stirling, Scott" <scott.stirl...@workscape.com>
Subject RE: Problemn with Jasper and jspc task
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:46:27 GMT
> From: Laurent Duperval [mailto:laurent.duperval@microcell.ca]

> I'm trying to use the jspc task to validate my JSP files (not
> precompile them, just make sure that they will compile). I
> deploy on Weblogic 8.1.
[...]
>     <jspc destdir="${jspc.temp.dir}/jsp"
> srcdir="${dist.home}/${project.name}/${module.name}/www" verbose="9"
>         compiler="jasper41">

JSPs are always translated (and incidentally compiled, in your case by jikes) to a vendor-specific
Servlet implementation class.  So each vendor provides a tool for compiling JSPs offline (well,
most vendors do).

Jasper is Tomcat's JSP translator/compiler implementation.  So it's no use for WLS users.
 JSPs compiled for WLS have to be compiled by the WLS JSP compiler tool (or the <wljspc>
task in the Ant optional tasks).

And (from an email I wrote to explain the same thing to someone at work a week ago):

To go into more detail than you probably care to hear, these JSP compilers aren't really compilers
in the technical sense.  They are translators.  They translate JSP source code into *vendor-specific*
Java source code.  The actual compilation of the resultant Servlet is a separate step, which
these tools accomplish simply by calling the normal javac compiler (or whatever compiler you
specify).  But the translated Java source always has vendor-specific dependencies, which is
why the translation tools are vendor-specific.  Look at the translated Java source code from
a JSP and you'll see what I mean (note things like import statements for Weblogic packages).

Scott Stirling
Workscape, Inc.

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you
immediately.