ant-user mailing list archives

From Wascally Wabbit <wascallywab...@earthling.net>
Subject Re: run junit tests in a certain order
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:22:12 GMT
At 09:20 AM 11/26/2003, you wrote:
>Quoting Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org>:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, J. Xue <ant@manifoldronin.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sure I'm not the first one having this problem but can't find
> > > anything on google.
> >
> > Well, then you didn't use the right keywords 8-)
>
>Well, figuring out the right google keywords has been one of the hardest
>parts
>in my computing experience.  8-)
>

> > Generally, JUnit advocates are going to tell you that you are trying
> > to do the wrong thing in the first place as unit tests are supposed to
> > be independent of each other.
>
>I totally agree, but then it doesn't contradict to what I'm trying to do.  My
>tests are independent.  I just feel it a bit silly to waste 20 mins to run a
>AdvancedTests suite that's doomed to fail because the SanityCheckTests suite
>would have failed quickly, had it not been because of the OS I'm running on
>happens to decide to return files in alphabetical order.

We have a similiar problem with large (long running) test suites. Our
solution was to create a "BaselineSuite" in addition to the JUnit advised
"AllTests" where this sort of smoke-testing is useful. The baseline
suite files are named (surprise) *BaslineSuite.java. We then
changed our standard "run acceptance tests" targets to first do baseline
suites, if all these pass then we do the full long-winded suites.

The downside is now you have to manually maintain the Baseline as
well as the AllTests suite (although creating baselines turned out to
be a useful exercise for qa/review folks).

The Wabbit