ant-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <>
Subject Re: <patch> task on win32?
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2003 05:19:00 GMT

Hmm....  I just got it to work with the gnuwin32 library.  However, it
seems to me that the fact that it didn't work the original way I had it is
a bug.  Here is what I did to make it work...

I changed this:
<patch patchfile="ant-patch.txt"/>

to this:
<patch dir="${basedir}/src" patchfile="ant-patch.txt" strip="1"/>

However, shouldn't the following be equivalent (which, according to the
docs, is equivalent to the original basic syntax.)?
<patch dir="${basedir}" patchfile="ant-patch.txt"/>

See docs at:

But that doesn't work.  Why do I have to change into the "src" dir, and
then strip the "src/" part of "src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/typedef.xml"?  Am
I missing something?  How is this not equivalent to the original basic syntax?

Can someone confirm whether or not this is a bug?

At 09:35 PM 11/22/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>Has anyone gotten the <patch> task to work for them on Win32?  That is,
>without installing cygwin.  I tried some native patch programs linked to here:
>The most up to date is the one here at the gnuwin32 project:
>However, all I ever get is...
>     [patch] can't find file to patch at input line 8
>     [patch] Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
>     [patch] The text leading up to this was:
>     [patch] --------------------------
>     [patch] |Index: src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/typedef.xml
>     [patch]
> |===================================================================
>     [patch] |RCS file: /home/cvs/ant/src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/typedef.xml,v
>     [patch] |retrieving revision 1.2
>     [patch] |diff -u -r1.2 typedef.xml
>     [patch] |--- src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/typedef.xml 21 Jul 2003
> 10:10:06 -0000      1.2
>     [patch] |+++ src/etc/testcases/taskdefs/typedef.xml 18 Nov 2003
> 15:11:07 -0000
>     [patch] --------------------------
>     [patch] File to patch:
>     [patch] Skip this patch? [y]
>     [patch] Skipping patch.
>     [patch] 1 out of 1 hunk ignored
>I have the patch file in the correct relative location (the root of the
>build for Ant) along with a patch-apply.xml build file....
><project default="patch" basedir=".">
>     <target name="patch">
>         <patch patchfile="ant-patch.txt"/>
>     </target>
>Any hints?  Is there any port for patch on win32 that works with the
><patch> task?  BTW, this was tested with the latest Ant 1.6 Branch.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: